Motor Start or Run Capacitor Testing
Argon Distributors – How to test a motor start or run capacitor
- Ensure your Multimeter has capacitance testing mode, this is usually shown as two vertical white lines like this -||- Set selection dial to this mode. Ensure leads are in common and test locations.
- Remove capacitor from motor. (Registered electrician only) Touch your test prongs onto either lead or terminal.
- Leave on test (multimeter may take 5-10 seconds for reading to settle down) The reading value should show the capacitor value. The capacitor should be replaced if this value is +/- 5% of value shown (Photo B shows a 15uf capacitor)
- Note a motor start capacitor will have a higher microfarad (uf) value than a run capacitor and not all multimeters can test these, the meter may show zero value in this case but capacitor may still be within range.
- If the meter shows a different value from capacitor rating or shows signs or heat or physical damage it must be replaced to ensure correct motor operation.
- Please view start capacitors here or run capacitors here or contact Argon Distributors for a replacement.
Click the image to download Capacitor Test instructions